Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Experimenting with Tin Types
































































































For these I decided to experiment with color.  I used acrylic paint and mixed it in with the emulsion when I was coating the plates.  I also dripped water onto the plates to make the emulsion thinner and to create swirling/ dripping lines.  I really like the way these turned out and am going to make some more this weekend!  Now that I know which process turned out the best, I can make more and have more success.  

3 comments:

Andrew Fuller said...

Rachel, I think these are a HUGE step in the right direction. They seem less careful, more haphazard and more passionate, all the while maintaining some semblance of concept and consistency. Well done! My favorites so far!

Rachel Hubbard said...

thanks! it took me a while to let go of trying to get them "perfect" and i definitely like these results much better!

Amanda Boe said...

Rachel, these are fantastic! The images are so personal and intimate. Your process is really intriguing too... I'd love to watch you make a tin type sometime.