Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Presence of the Headlands





































































 

 





         


The Headlands is a place rich in history, with unfathomable amounts of people who have walked over its land for many, many years.  Whenever I am at the Headlands, I can’t help but sense the immense presence of those who were once there.  I am also becoming a part of that history and maybe someone, someday will be aware of my own existence.

         Each of these images includes a dress, which can be seen more as a representation of a person’s past, rather than just a piece of cloth.  The garment appears to be floating, hovering, haunting and/or levitating depending on the environment it is in.  It relates to the environment by inventing a narrative the viewer can interpret. 

         Each of the dresses used was chosen because I can attach a specific memory to it.  Remembering an event or place that is triggered by a specific object is something that greatly interests me. The act of remembering is unique in that it brings the past into the present through the subconscious.  The notion of memory is reiterated throughout the work.

This series is shot using black and white film.  I chose to shoot film and print digitally to further emphasize the marriage of past and present. The images have a distinct connection with memory and it is my hope that the viewer can understand this through visual cues. 

3 comments:

Andrew Fuller said...

These are great, Rachel! Really nice to see a tightly edited bunch of 'em. Honestly, probably my favorite group of all your work. Now, just re-load them so I can see them bigger!!!

Rachel Hubbard said...

ha! i don't know why you can't see them bigger. any suggestions? they are big files, but for some reason, they won't enlarge. glad you like them!

Rachel Hubbard said...

OR- I forgot, they're up on my website, and you can definitely see them bigger: rachelhubbardphoto.com