Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sustainability
































         














       I have been thinking a lot about sustainability and how I can interpret this term as a photographer.  In the past, I have used different forms of trash as an added element or prop to a photograph to enhance it.  For example, I have used bubble wrap as part of a portrait to add texture and interest.  Spring-boarding from this idea, I decided to try using these same elements in portraiture, but add a twist.  I asked my husband to volunteer for my first experiment.  I wanted him to find something that he considers wasteful that is part of his daily life.  As someone who works from home, he is constantly receiving packages full of packing materials.  Using some of these materials, we worked together to create a portrait where the material is "suffocating" him.  Utilizing color casts, I wanted the image to come across as eerie and evocative of death.  I think it would be interesting to see what other people feel is part of their lives that is wasteful.  I think the first step we must take in order to work towards sustainability is to look within ourselves and scrutinize what we do that is wasteful and figure out how to remedy it.  With this reflection, hopefully we can think of ways to reuse, recycle or reconstruct the materials in our daily lives into something useful- instead of sending it to the landfill.  

No comments: